Girls indoor track update: Jackson 2nd at indoor state in shot put
BY VAL TSOUTSOURIS
Sports Editor, RTC
Rochester’s Kennedy Jackson finished second in the shot put with a throw of 37-11 ¾ at the Hoosier State Relays – Small Schools indoor meet at the Gladstein Fieldhouse in Bloomington on March 26.
Jackson was the only RTC area athlete to score at the girls meet, which is run under the auspices of the Indiana Association of Track and Cross-Country Coaches.
Other Rochester girls that competed at the meet after earning a spot at the West Lafayette Individuals Meet on March 5 included Madilyn Calloway, who was ninth in the 3,200 in 11:55.61, and Zoe Seward, who was 11th in the 3,200 in 12:00.74.
Sophomore Chesnee Miller was the only Tippecanoe Valley athlete who competed as an individual. She was 20th in the 3,200 in 12:16.37 and 14th in the long jump at 14-11.
Pioneer’s lone individual event qualifier was sophomore Violet Montgomery. She was 22nd in the 3,200 in 12:18.40.
Rochester was also 12th in the distance medley relay, an event which includes a 1,200-meter leg, a 400-meter leg and two 800-meter legs.
Valley was 20th in the 4 x 200 relay.
Pioneer was 17th in the 4 x 800 relay and 21st in the 4 x 400 relay.
Hoosier State Relays – Small Schools
at Gladstein Fieldhouse, Bloomington, March 26
Girls results: 1. Heritage Christian 59, t-21. Rochester 8, Tippecanoe Valley 0, Pioneer 0
1. Kendall Martin (Brebeuf Jesuit) – 10:54.61, 9. Madilyn Calloway (RHS) – 11:55.61, 11. Zoe Seward (RHS) – 12:00.74, 20. Chesnee Miller (TV) – 12:16.37, 22. Violet Montgomery (PIO) – 12:18.40
4 x 200 m relay
1. Heritage Christian (Burdine, Crooke, Smith, Harris) – 1:45.67, 20. Tippecanoe Valley (Lydia Craig, Emma Patrick, Ava Smith, Avery Wagoner) – 1:58.62
4 x 400 m relay
1. Indianapolis Chatard (Duncan, Bell, Sowinski, Stickel) – 4:06.53, 21. Pioneer (Blair Grigsby, Mackenzie Rogers, Anna Shewalter, Rachel Harding) – 4:42.82
4 x 800 m relay
1. Guerin Catholic (Barrett, Wozniak, Morrow, Gallagher) – 10:03.57, 17. Pioneer (Anna Shewalter, Makenna Strycker, Violet Montgomery, Mackenzie Rogers) – 11:20.41
Distance medley relay
1. Brebeuf Jesuit (Garten, Hamilton, Martin, Sloan) – 12:57.64, 12. Rochester (Zoe Seward, Lucy Rangel, Araceli Ochoa, Madilyn Calloway) – 14:11.37
1. Crooke (Heritage Christian) – 17-9 ½, 14. Chesnee Miller (TV) – 14-11
1. Nesmith (Brebeuf Jesuit) – 38-8 ½, 2. Kennedy Jackson (RHS) – 37-11 ¾
West Lafayette Individuals (March 4)
Three Rochester athletes advanced to the Hoosier State Relays – Small Schools meet from the West Lafayette Individuals on March 4.
Zoe Seward was second in the 3,200 in 12:00.91, Kennedy Jackson was fourth in the shot put with a throw of 32-10 ½, and MaKenna Jackson was seventh in the pole vault with a clearance of 7-0.
Pioneer’s Rachel Harding tied for sixth in the high jump, and teammate Keirsten Nies tied for eighth. Both cleared 4-10. Violet Montgomery ran a 12:31.76 in the 3,200 and finished fourth.
Trine Indoor Meet (March 18)
Valley’s Chesnee Miller flew 15-4 3/4 in the long jump to finish fifth and advance to the Hoosier State Relays – Small Schools meet. She also placed seventh in the 3,200 meters.
The 4 x 200 relay team consisting of Ava Smith, Lydia Craig, Avery Wagoner and Emma Patrick finished sixth and also advanced.